Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bible Teacher Recommended: What is a good study bible for a high school student?

As the holiday season approaches many parents and students are asking me what bible I recommend so they may ask for it, or give it, for Christmas. First of all, I think it's great that parents and students are giving and asking for bibles! But, to answer that question I want to give a quick review on the bible I recommend for my students and why.

The translation

First, before we even get into the "which study bible" question, I'll tell you which translation I recommend. If I had to recommend a couple of translations I would go with the NASV or the ESV. But, I do recommend one of the other. Personally, I recommend to my students the ESV, and here is why... 

As far as translational accuracy, the ESV is top of the line, but it is also very readable. Although I respect the NIV as a translation, I believe the translation team took far to many liberties in translating the text, and if we truly believe that the bible is the inspired and inherent Word of God in its original greek manuscripts then we really need to attempt to match those the best we can! I believe that the ESV does this with accuracy and readability. The KJV is based on later manuscripts, and today we have more accurate early manuscripts, and it's not translated for our time and language. Although the NASB is a good translation, it's not as readable, and for practical purposes not as available by the publisher. 

The study bible question

Now this brings me to the question of the study bible. In the ESV translation there are many study bibles, but I particularly recommend one. For parents I recommend the "ESV study bible" and for students I recommend the "ESV student study bible". The theology in these study bibles is rock solid, yet it is still fair to all denominations and theological perspectives. Although I respect the "Reformation study bible", the "Ryrie study bible", or the "Macarthur Study bible", I believe that these study bibles are not fair enough to other views, and can cause one to come out with a presupposition before they even read and wrestle with a text. 

In that case, for my students that REALLY want to go deep, I recommend the ESV study bible, and for students that just want a very solid study bible I say go with the ESV student study bible. If someone is just looking for a bible, without a study component, go with the ESV translation. All of these can be purchased for a very fair price in leather or hardback here ... Thats my recommendation :)

Thanks for everyone that has asked this question! 



No comments:

Post a Comment