Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Book Review: Andrew Farley's "Relaxing with God"


It's the beautiful time of year for me where I have a break in between classes. I recently completed an M.A. in Biblical Studies but have decided to pursue a Grad Certificate in Teaching, and possibly a D.Min in Christian Education after that... So, during my off times I really enjoy getting to read some books out of my own will, rather than what's required for a class (although those reads are often really good)

I have many on my list, but the first book I chose to read this winter was Andrew Farley's Relaxing With God. I heard good things about it from some podcasts and blogs I read so I gave it a shot. 

When I first started to read the book, my first thought was "Yes! A book on relaxing in the gospel!" And, interviews that I had heard with Farley were very encouraging. Yet, although there is definitely some aspects of the book that involve relaxing in the gospel, I was surprised to find that the book was much more a book about the particulars of Farley's unique theology that are in a lot of ways at odds with the majority of Christianity. The book in a lot of ways came off to me as neglecting biblical tension and over emphasizing certain aspects of the gospel (in many good ways) while neglecting other important parts of the Christian faith. The sad part is that Farley seems to indicate that his unique theology is the only way to "relax with God". Let me offer some examples... 

In one chapter Farley says that we can relax with God because "we are dead to law based religion". He goes on to argue that we are no longer under the Mosaic Law, including the moral laws of the Old Testament. Although there are many Lutheran and Reformed Baptist scholars that would agree in a way, Farley offers some pretty harsh claims against people that believe in the distinction between the moral, ceremonial, and civil law. I see his points, and I think there are valid arguments to the fact that the Christian is no longer under the Mosaic Law, but this is a pretty limited view to suggest that it's the only way to rest in the gospel.

There is also a chapter on being totally forgiven that is good, but has some troubling nuances. Now, first off, I want to say that there is a lot of great stuff from Farley on this. Farley concludes that our job is not to "try to get forgiven" daily but instead to rest in forgiveness and give gratitude to God for it. Ultimately this is good stuff. But, again, I think Farley goes to far and neglects biblical tension. Farley concludes that we don't need to ask God continually for forgiveness... Now, I see some merit in this view, but Farley goes on to conclude that Jesus words in the Lord's Prayer to ask God to "Forgive us our debts" is pre-cross and Old Covenant so doesn't apply to us New Covenant Christians. This is a scary. How far do we take this? If we take this to it's logical conclusion than Jesus Sermon on The Mount, etc. is not applicable to the Christian (which Farley basically argues in chapter 15). This is a very radical hermeneutical presupposition that I would consider dangerous. Jesus words are the foundation for Christians life, not some afterthought before the cross. (For an understanding of the Sermon that is both grace centered and theologically sound listen to THIS)

In another chapter Farley argues for a one nature theology in the Christian. This, again, is a very limited theology. I definitely see the merit in the idea that our old self has died, but the idea that we no longer possess a sinful nature is very limited, and there is clearly a way to rest in God while maintaining a belief in the fact that we still possess, as Christians, a sin nature. Farley wants to stress here the good news that we are a new creation in Christ and we are saints, not sinners. This is great! But, again, Farley, to support this, over emphasizes a very unique set of theological presuppositions to "relax with God". 

In another chapter Farley goes on to argue that if one believes that God individually elects Christians to salvation that it is "tough to relax with God." But again, this is a unique position by Farley that he finds comfort in. I on the other hand, and many others, am extremely relaxed in the fact that I am chosen by God based on grace alone and nothing that I have done. So, again, Farley seems to indicate in his book that only his unique theological positions lead to relaxing with God. 

This is not to say that everything Farley says is off... I do believe that a lot of his views are very encouraging and gospel centered. However, in this book, and based on other reviews I have read about Farley's other books, Farley seems to limit the gospel to some pretty unique and rare theological view points that he continues to bring up in all of his books. 

Although there is much in this book to bring encouragement, I would have trouble recommending this book, and Farley's other books, because of some theological and hermeneutical views that are not only uniquely limited, but at times troubling. 

I think there are much better ways to deal with these issues, give the same encouragements to rest in the gospel, while remaining more theologically and hermeneutically balanced and sound. 







No comments:

Post a Comment